Wednesday 26 December 2012

Fly Away 'Flu



This festive season we have had an unwelcome visitor. The wicked winter 'flu fairy flitted from house to house scattering a liberal portion of germs and viruses. Over the past couple of days we have one by one succumbed to the seasonal lurgy; with aching limbs, sore throats, coughs and heads aching fit to bursting. At La Petite Maison scrapers and paintbrushes were hurriedly discarded in favour of hot water bottles and bed; gifts, wrapping paper and scissors forgotten about in the quest to locate painkillers and cough medicine.


(Thankfully I had already delivered my vintage style handmade cards before the onset of the virus.)

The scents of oranges, cloves and cinnamon gave way to the vapours of menthol rubs and Olbas Oil.  Tasty treats hold no temptation and unwrapped presents lie ignored as we struggle to find relief from the aches and pains. In my feverish dreams as I toss and turn trying to ease my aching head in a bed that is not comfortable, (the mattress feels as though it is full of rocks), I see my poor waterlogged and neglected allotment and think about the parsnips and potatoes that should have been lifted for the meal that I would have been preparing, but the thought of which makes me feel decidedly queasy.

I am aware of Lucie watching me from the doorway of the bedroom in uneasy concern as I wake myself from a restless slumber through hearing moaning noises which I realise are emanating from me. I am hot and then cold, the duvet is tossed to one side and then pulled back again a few seconds later. 

But it is okay - I shall recover; the aches and pains will disappear; the presents will be there waiting to open; the tasty treats can be sampled at a later date and let's look on the positive side; when was the last opportunity that I had to stay in bed all day and sleep just when I felt like it? Already I am feeling brighter. 

The solstice has passed and the days will be getting longer. I have a new garden to think of planting soon at La Petite Maison, so as I lie in my sick bed my thoughts dwell now on planting schemes using pink roses and peonies, hydrangeas, hollyhocks and herbs to name but a few.


Gorgeous David Austin Roses



Also on a positive note, the tweaking and tuning that I have been doing to the blog seems to have worked and my space allocation warning has not appeared, (a big Thank You to Holley and Linda for your suggestions) so Hey Ho all being well I will be up and blogging pictorially away again over the next few days.

xxx









1 comment:

HolleyGarden said...

Glad your blog space allocation is working again. And I'm sorry to hear you've had the flu. Dreaming of a new garden is a good way to while away the time. Take care!